London Historical Buildings
Auction Mart and Bank of England
by Suzi Love
FROM: 1827 Metropolitan Improvements; Or, London in the Nineteenth Century, Displayed in a Series of Engravings of the New Buildings, Improvements, &c., by the Most Eminent Artists, from Original Drawings, Taken from the Objects Themselves Expressly for this Work
by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd
Publisher : Jones & Company and sold by Simpkin and Marshall
AUCTION MART, ETC ST. BARTHOLOMEW LANE.
Erected in 1808-9 for the public sale of all sorts of Property, and has since had a literary
Institution engrafted on the original Establishment.
At some distance, on the same side, is the principal Avenue, through Capel Court, to the Stock Exchange; and still further, the Church of St. Bartholomew, built in the year 1670.
On the right, the eastern front of the Bank of England, which has been lately repaired and much improved, occupies the entire space to the corner of Threadneedle Street: the entrance to the Rotunda. where stockjobbers, &c. carry on their dealings in British Securities, being about the centre of the range, and nearly opposite the Stock Exchange.
The View is terminated by a portion of the north elevation of the Royal Exchange, over which the new Tower and Cupola, surmounting the south front of the same Building, and finished in 1824, is conspicuous.