The East India House.
Old Buildings of London by Suzi Love.
East India House was the London headquarters of the East India Company and was in Leadenhall Street, London.
- 1648 – The first East India House was an Elizabethan mansion known as Craven House. The main front was on Leadenhall Street but the premises extended to the rear to include warehouses which could be reached from Lime Street. The five bays were three storeys high and had an attic storey disguised behind the cornice balustrade. The frontage of Doric pillars and a frieze of triglyphs were supposed to show the East India Company’s soundness and seriousness of purpose.
- 1726-9 – The house was rebuilt.
- 1796-1800 – The adjoining blocks on either side were bought and pulled down to make way for a large extension with the Company’s museum in one extension and the library in the other. The Old Sale Room, also known as the General Court Room, had a public gallery. The Company’s chairman, secretary and clerks would sit in the area beneath the round skylight.
- 1858 – The East India Company was wound up and its assets passed to the government and the building became the India Office.
- 1860 – The East India House was vacated.
- 1861 – The House was demolished but many of the old building’s fittings, art collection, and furniture were saved and some are in India House, the seat of the Indian High Commission in London
- Present Day – The site is now occupied by the Lloyd’s building.