London’s Historic Places
Before 1800, the Thames river was overcrowded with ships. They carried cargoes of tea, china and cloth in their lower parts along with casks of water, salted meat, beer, wine and rum for their crews. Brandy, wine, and tobacco were also shipped and stored in the warehouses.
In 1800, the London Dock Company was formed and the planned docks in Wapping went ahead in 1801. The first was the West India Dock. In 1806, the East India Company opened their own docks to the north-east of the West India Docks after deciding that the Brunswick Dock at Blackwall, where ships were fitted out, was unsuitable for storing cargo.
The Brunswick Dock, which had originally been connected directly to the Thames to the south, became the Export Dock. To the north the company built a larger 18-acre (7.3 ha) Import Dock. Both were connected to the Thames via an eastern entrance basin.
The East India Docks didn’t have many warehouses because cargoes were taken straight to their warehouses in the City. So instead of building warehouses, the company built private toll roads like Commercial Road and East India Dock Road to carry traffic to and from the docks.
The company made large profits on tea, spices, indigo, silk and Persian carpets. The tea trade alone was worth £30 million a year. Spice merchants and pepper grinders set up around the dock to process goods.
Although the East India docks were smaller than the West India Docks, they handled up to 250 ships at one time and East Indiamen of 1000 tons but larger ships and steam power reduced the importance of the docks.
In 1838 the East and West India companies merged.
Following the Second World War, in which all the docks were badly damaged, the East India Docks were confined to occasional Channel Islands traffic and to the maintenance of dredger equipment etc.
Brunswick Wharf Power Station was built on the site of the Export Dock in stages between 1946 and 1956.
The docks were the first London docks to close, in 1967.
Today the docks have been mostly filled in. Only the entrance basin remains, as a wildlife refuge and an attractive local amenity. The area is predominantly residential with several major developments either complete or under construction around it.
I love this book! It’s a funny look at some of the happenings in Regency London.
via Google Books
Best Historical Posts Around the Web – July 2014
There have been lots of great historical research posts around the web lately. Hope you take time to check these out as they are fascinating. We have posts on costume, laws, houses, perfume, writing implements, historic London places, medicinal drinks, royal weddings, women’s education.
Enjoy, Suzi Love http://www.blueroseromance.com http://www.historicalcostume.wordpress.comhttp://www.madamegilflurt.com http://www.bbc.co.ukhttp://www.pastonpaper.com http://www.folliespast.blogspot.ca http://www.totalpolitics.com
http://www2.odl.ox.ac.uk, http://www.janeausten.co.uk, http://www.wordwenches.typepad.com, http://www.main.thebeaumonde.com/blog, http://www.londonhistorians.wordpress.com, http://www.graceeliott-author.blogspot.co.uk, http://www.onelondon.com, www.catsmeatshop.blogspot.com, www.twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.com.au, http://www.publishersweekly.com, http://www.coraleeauthor.wordpress.com, http://www.regencyhistory.net, http://www.jbailey.wordpress.com, http://www.embracingromance.com,
http://www.novelsbykatherinepym.blogspot.com.au, http://www.patrickbaty.co.uk, http://www.pastonpaper.com, http://www.riskyregencies.com, http://www.2romance2.blogspot.com, http://www.totalpolitics.com, http://www.folliespast.blogspot.ca, http://www.historicalhearts.blogspot.com.au, http://www.bbc.co.uk, http://www.madamegilflurt.com,
CHATELAINES BY SUZI LOVE
Reblogged from Historical Hearts
- The word Chatelaine is French and means the keeper of the keys
- Chatelaine” derives from the Latin word for castle
- In Medieval times, the chatelaine was in charge of the day-to-day running of the castle.
What did a chatelaine do?
- Most important task was keeper of the keys.
- Also ordered supplies, did bookkeeping, supervised servants, taught castle children, and organized guests.
What were chatelaines used for?
- Castle keepers needed keys safe, yet easily accessible.
- By 1700′s, a metal jeweled ornament hung from pockets, attached to belts, or by hooks into skirt waistbands
- During 1800′s, women wore large collections of tools hung from chains
- Young girls sewed and did needlework and needed to carry sewing notions eg scissors, thimbles
- Worn by women of all classes, from workers to nobility
- Varied depending on class and finances.
- Made of silver, brass, steel, leather, or fabric
- During 19th century, fashionable dresses often had no waist and nowhere to hang chatelaines
- Chatelaines became decorative brooches
- Often given as a wedding present from a husband to bride
- Later became fashion accessories
The East India House.
Old Buildings of London by Suzi Love.
East India House was the London headquarters of the East India Company and was in Leadenhall Street, London.
- 1648 – The first East India House was an Elizabethan mansion known as Craven House. The main front was on Leadenhall Street but the premises extended to the rear to include warehouses which could be reached from Lime Street. The five bays were three storeys high and had an attic storey disguised behind the cornice balustrade. The frontage of Doric pillars and a frieze of triglyphs were supposed to show the East India Company’s soundness and seriousness of purpose.
- 1726-9 – The house was rebuilt.
- 1796-1800 – The adjoining blocks on either side were bought and pulled down to make way for a large extension with the Company’s museum in one extension and the library in the other. The Old Sale Room, also known as the General Court Room, had a public gallery. The Company’s chairman, secretary and clerks would sit in the area beneath the round skylight.
- 1858 – The East India Company was wound up and its assets passed to the government and the building became the India Office.
- 1860 – The East India House was vacated.
- 1861 – The House was demolished but many of the old building’s fittings, art collection, and furniture were saved and some are in India House, the seat of the Indian High Commission in London
- Present Day – The site is now occupied by the Lloyd’s building.
Best Internet Advice for Authors by Suzi Love
Lots of news from around the web this week that helps authors find their way around the internet and use the best products and policies to help them.