1836-1840 ca, Printed Cotton Day dress, English.This 1830’s English day dress is cotton printed in a soft pink, red, white and green floral motif against a soft light brown ground. Soft colors and floral patterns can be seen in many 1830’s day dresses.Continue reading →
1840s Typical Lady’s Ensemble in Pretty Pink.Continue reading →
1840s Typical Lady’s Outfit. Late Regency/Early Victorian FashionContinue reading →
Happy Valentine’s Day.
How much do you know about the history
behind St Valentine’s Day.Continue reading →
Historical Research Posts
From Around the Web
End of June
Including ‘Inexpressibles’, Duchess of Devonshire, Vauxhall Gardens, capitalisation of historical words, Victorian Parlor Games, disabled workers in the past, the madness of George III, a Georgian club for men, the season, Waterloo rings, Birmingham’s gun district, French fashion, life of the Gentry, etc.
CHATELAINES BY SUZI LOVE
Reblogged from Historical Hearts
- The word Chatelaine is French and means the keeper of the keys
- Chatelaine” derives from the Latin word for castle
- In Medieval times, the chatelaine was in charge of the day-to-day running of the castle.
What did a chatelaine do?
- Most important task was keeper of the keys.
- Also ordered supplies, did bookkeeping, supervised servants, taught castle children, and organized guests.
What were chatelaines used for?
- Castle keepers needed keys safe, yet easily accessible.
- By 1700′s, a metal jeweled ornament hung from pockets, attached to belts, or by hooks into skirt waistbands
- During 1800′s, women wore large collections of tools hung from chains
- Young girls sewed and did needlework and needed to carry sewing notions eg scissors, thimbles
- Worn by women of all classes, from workers to nobility
- Varied depending on class and finances.
- Made of silver, brass, steel, leather, or fabric
- During 19th century, fashionable dresses often had no waist and nowhere to hang chatelaines
- Chatelaines became decorative brooches
- Often given as a wedding present from a husband to bride
- Later became fashion accessories
The East India House.
Old Buildings of London by Suzi Love.
East India House was the London headquarters of the East India Company and was in Leadenhall Street, London.
- 1648 – The first East India House was an Elizabethan mansion known as Craven House. The main front was on Leadenhall Street but the premises extended to the rear to include warehouses which could be reached from Lime Street. The five bays were three storeys high and had an attic storey disguised behind the cornice balustrade. The frontage of Doric pillars and a frieze of triglyphs were supposed to show the East India Company’s soundness and seriousness of purpose.
- 1726-9 – The house was rebuilt.
- 1796-1800 – The adjoining blocks on either side were bought and pulled down to make way for a large extension with the Company’s museum in one extension and the library in the other. The Old Sale Room, also known as the General Court Room, had a public gallery. The Company’s chairman, secretary and clerks would sit in the area beneath the round skylight.
- 1858 – The East India Company was wound up and its assets passed to the government and the building became the India Office.
- 1860 – The East India House was vacated.
- 1861 – The House was demolished but many of the old building’s fittings, art collection, and furniture were saved and some are in India House, the seat of the Indian High Commission in London
- Present Day – The site is now occupied by the Lloyd’s building.